Wisconsin is Inspiring

One of the great things about the Mighty Sound of Maryland is our director.  (I’m not going to name names here, but he may spark your interest if you look him up.)

I’ve always found my band directors to be very wise.  There are always those times in between playing sections of pieces when they have to talk about something meaningful; 80% of the time it’s about the music, and the other 20% of the time, it’s a life lesson or funny exclamation.  (Feel free to argue with me about this ratio.)  In my opinion, the MSoM director often has deep things to say.  For instance, he makes this speech at the beginning of every season to welcome the freshmen:

You may laugh, but (depressingly?) this ends up to be true.

And apparently our director knows what he’s talking about.  This summer my family went on a vacation to Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin.  Why, you ask?  Well Illinois has Chicago, in Michigan you can buy an oven mitt shaped like the state, and Wisconsin…well, Wisconsin had its state fair while we were there (that’s right, there were whole restaurants dedicated just to grilled CHEESE sandwiches) AND it has Green Bay.

Chicago (Millenium Park)

Michigan mitten

Grilled Cheese

Green Bay (tour at Lambeau Field)

 

Green Bay, according to my boyfriend, is the greatest small town in the country.  It’s the only small town with its own professional football team, and the townmembers even have shares in the public ownership of the Packers.  They also have a rich history with famous coaches like Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi.

I know what you’re thinking: why is she pretending to know so much about sports?  What does this all have to do with anything?  Why am I procrastinating by going on her blog?

I can’t answer the first or third questions, but I’ll get to the second question now.  I think my director’s belief system was inspired by Vince Lombardi.  I found this quote at the Packers museum:

Musical/Life moral of the story: Wisconsin can be inspiring.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in marching band and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Wisconsin is Inspiring

  1. Tiki Hut says:

    Haha thanks for that, Lisa. But I am still curious about the answer to the first question. Anyway… Yay Band!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s